Binding to ReportFooter

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:01 PM
Hi, I can't find a method for binding to the reportfooter. Is this supported yet? If not, is there a way to find the TxtBlock within the Footer, and set the Text manually in code? Cheers Mark
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Yes.

The approach I took was to raise an event "BeginBuildReportFooter" that allows you to set the data context in the handler. You can store your calculated fields in a separate class, updating them as each item is prepared for printing (BeginBuildReportItem) and then use that as the data context.

Flexible, but not overly intuitive. I'm open to ideas for better approaches :)

Pete

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty much a beginner here, so any examples would be appreciated.

A question I missed was, is there a way to load the report and view in childwindow, or in the same page? Then print when the report is displayed on screen. I guess this is like print preview, but I'd like the report to be visible when load data is clicked, then the user can print IF needed.

Thanks

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Good feedback, thanks. I'll be sure to add an example in the next round of updates

Pete

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Added a new release with this functionality baked in.

Pete

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Thanks Pete, is this the preview or the reportfooter?

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Report Footer

Preview would require building a control to navigate the pages. Easier in Silverlight than it would be in many technologies. I'll look into that.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:38 AM

Thanks again Pete.

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Pete,

Report footer is working very well, thanks for your rapid response to this. How is the preview looking, is this something that can be done easily ourselves?

Cheers

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I looked into it. The main issue with Print Preview is you can't get the dimensions of the printer page until you're actually in a print cycle. You can guess, but that wouldn't be a very good preview especially given US Letter vs. A4 (the two sizes supported) differences.

Pete